Friday, February 26, 2010

A letter to the adoptive parents of Zhu Lan Mei

When we received Anna on "Gotcha Day", we also received 3 pages of hand written notes from her birth mother. Our social worker translated the letters for us, and we also videotaped her. Here is what was on them.

On the first page was her birth information:
Name-Zhu Lan Mei
Nickname- Qi-Qi
Born 04/09/2005
Chinese Lunar year 2005
Born at 4:40

On the second page was the letter:
To anyone who will adopt her, a good kind hearted person, I am Qi-Qi’s mother. I love her very much. I had no way out, I had to abandon her. I and my boyfriend didn’t get married, and I gave birth to her. My parents from the very beginning rejected and opposed my dating him. My boyfriend and I raise her in a very difficult situation. At first we thought if we could save, and live in a frugal life- we could let her live a good life. But we didn’t realize she was sick. We borrowed the money from my aunt/uncle to take her to see a doctor. The doctor said she has a congenital heart disease, and also her leg- she couldn’t stand. We don’t have any money to treat her. If she followed us, it would be a road toward death. For her, I could only choose this way. Only this way may bring her some hope. She is very smart, and very lovely, and likes to laugh. Though I am already a mother of her, I myself am still a young girl. I beg you to save her; I thank you again and hope you can treat her as your own child. I will pray for her, for what you do, and blessings. And I will remember this all my life.


On the third page was her feeding schedule.
5am- 1 bottle of milk
7am- congee, rice noodles
10am- drank 150ml milk
12 noon- congee, steamed egg
2:30- 1 bottle milk
5pm- rice noodles, congee
7pm- 1 bottle milk
Midnight-1 bottle milk
Needs a pacifier during sleeping. Cries at bedtime, but if you kiss her hand, she is better.

Mickey and I are much honored to have been chosen as the adoptive parents of Zhu Lan Mei, now AnnaMei Grace Rector. Just as our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ adopted us into his family, so shall we adopt her into ours as one of our own.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Candyce-I read that with tears streaming down my face!

Anonymous said...

Oh my, I am boo hooing too! How hard must it have been on her mother to let her go! It is so wonderful she will have that letter and know why she was given up! What a lucky little girl to have found the Rector family and to be loved by two families!!!!

-jennifer watson

lifeasamommyof2boys said...

Oh Candyce,
What an emotional posting. I am so thankful that you and Mickey did not give up on your adventure to Anna. That has got to be so hard to get out of your mind. I hope you are enjoying loving on that baby! Can't wait to meet her.

Sara said...

Ok, I'm BAWLING!!! Anna will treasure that letter someday. My heart is so broken for her birth mother. How hard it must have been for her to make the decision. God has been so good to sweet little Anna!

kippi said...

What a tresure to have that letter and for your daughter to know that she was wanted and loved and that her birth mother wanted to best for her.